We talk about the serious issues related to
Arizona divorce because it’s important to know what’s happening, what to expect,
and how to cope with the divorce process (and the post-divorce changes).
But sometimes it’s just as important that we take a minute to laugh
– and sometimes that can be hard. Hopefully, this will make laughing
at divorce a little bit easier today.
Some of these crazy and obscure divorce laws that are still technically
“on the books” are actually hard not to laugh at!
Divorce is Nuts: And These Obscure
Divorce Laws Prove It
Are you considering filing for divorce? Luckily, most of these crazy divorce
laws are just obscure (and rare) examples most often left over from the
past. For a real time consideration of your case and how modern divorce
law applies, please get in touch with the experienced
Arizona divorce lawyers ready to help you at Arizona Family Law Attorneys.
- Delaware state law takes into consideration the fact that sometimes dares
go too far. Law actually states that getting married on a dare is grounds
for annulment. So, the next time you’re playing truth or dare in
Delaware, have no fear, the marriage that occurs won’t be valid
and you won’t have to go through a divorce.
- In Kentucky, you have to be really sure that you’ve made your mind
up when you file for a dissolution of marriage because it’s actually
illegal to remarry the same person four times. That’s a lot of indecision,
but still, it could happen.
- In the Philippines, divorce is not legal. In some cases, Filipino citizens
who get divorced and then attempt to remarry in another country will be
- Same-sex marriage is not legal in Texas so couples in same-sex marriages
that are considering divorce should be careful not to move to Texas in
the meantime. If they do, they won’t be able to get a divorce because
offering a divorce to a same-sex couple would acknowledge the validity
of the union. So, you could say that Texas state law is keeping same-sex
couples married – maybe not happily married, but married.
- In New York you have grounds for an annulment if your spouse goes insane
(literally) within five years of the wedding.
- Wichita, Kansas allows residents to divorce their spouse citing mistreatment
of their mother. It’s a legal reason to be nice to your mother-in-law.
- If you are Indian and you were divorced in Nebraska on or after April 8,
1913, you might want to know that it was technically both invalid and
punishable by law.
- Parties going through a divorce who are attached to their pet can actually
obtain a court-ordered pet visitation and/or custody arrangement.